I´m going to just start by introducing what Overwatch is about and just list the game modes and basic mechanics before jumping to actual Overwatch review breakdown below.
Overwatch features squad-based combat with two opposing teams of six players each.Players choose one of several hero characters, each with their own unique abilities and role classes. The four character roles include: offense characters with high speed and attack but low defense, defense characters meant to form choke points for enemies, support characters that provide buffs and debuffs for their allies and enemies respectively (such as healing or speed alterations), and tank characters that have a large amount of armor and hit points to withstand enemy attacks and draw fire away from teammates. Players can switch between characters in-game following deaths, which is encouraged by the game’s overall design.
Overwatch currently has three main game modes, with some maps featuring a hybrid of assault and payload
- Assault: The attacking team is tasked with capturing two target points on the map, while the defending team must stop them.
- Escort: The attacking team is tasked with escorting a payload to a certain delivery point before time runs out, while the defending team must stop them. The payload vehicle moves along a fixed track when any player on the attacking team is close to it. In some escort maps (referred to as hybrid), the attacking team has to capture the payload first before actually escorting it.
- Control: Each team tries to capture and maintain a control point until their capture percentage reaches 100%. This game mode is played in a best-of-three format.
Characters in Overwatch come in four varieties: Offense, Defense, Tank, and Support. These roles serve to categorize the heroes of Overwatch by similar characteristics that can be used to describe them and their playstyle. The first appearance of an Overwatch character in a released game was on April 19, 2016 in Heroes of the Storm.
- Offense: Offense characters have high mobility and are known for their ability to deal large amounts of damage. To balance this, offense characters have a low number of hit points
- Defense: Defense characters excel at protecting specific locations and creating choke points. They can also provide several means of field support, such as sentry set-up and trapping the enemy team.
- Tank: Tank characters have the most hit points out of all the characters in the game. Because of this, they are able to draw enemy fire away from their teammates to themselves, so as to disrupt the enemy team.
- Support: Support characters are utility characters that have abilities that enhance their own team and/or weaken the enemy team. They might not deal the most damage or have the most hit points, but the buffs and debuffs they provide ensure that their teammates who do will make short work of their opponents.
So is OverWatch worth it?
Whatever to buy Overwatch or not – really breakdowns to pricing of the game. There is three different tiers lowest being 39,99$ for PC and 59,99$ for origin edition on PS4, Xbox one and PC and finally we have the collectors edition. You have to understand that this is Multiplayer only game and there was already fiasco with Star Wars battlefront and people felt they were ripped off.
As ive stated on the video, blizzard hasn’t been that transparent how much they are going to update Overwatch going into future, when it comes to new maps, heroes, achievements, skins and other content. So if im not going to see lot of new stuff added to the game and i don´t think i paid my moneys worth. Sure there is lot things to grind in the game, but it doesn’t take that long to try out all maps and heroes in the game. Great thing about high price point however is the reduction of hackers in game and also some people do not enjoy (Russians and eastern European company too much in games like CS:GO and others).
- Very nice cartoonish graphics that will appeal to many
- Great cast of different characters, which each will provide different play-styles
- Variety of maps that have different game modes
- Well optimized games & lot of customization options
- No guarantee of new content patches
- Price point might be too high for multiplayer only game
- Competitive mode isn’t added yet
If you are interested you can try the game right now in Open Beta at http://battle.net and download the client and install Overwatch for this duration.